With the mercury hovering around 100 degrees for the foreseeable future, we thought y’all might benefit from a few suggestions for staying cool, Tulsa-style.
Here are 10 of our favorite ways to beat the heat for $5 or less:
1. Say the word. Like us on Facebook to get our word of the day, which entitles you to a free low-point beer in the cool, comfortable Campbell Lounge.
2. Make a splash. Take the kids to the water playground at River Parks. The free playground at 41st and Riverside has a variety of water features to cool you off.
3. Close shave. Cool down from the inside out with a cup of shaved ice from the stand next door to the Kum and Go at 41st and Peoria. Prices start at $1.50.
4. Hit the books. The Tulsa City-County Library system offers summer programs for kids, as well as a cool place for grownups to relax and read.
5. Freeze it. Freckles, located at 51st and Harvard in front of Hobby Lobby and at 21st and Yale across from the fairgrounds, offers frozen treats starting at $2.39.
6. Stay hydrated. Tulsa-based QuikTrip sells 69-cent drinks all summer.
7. Catch a flick. Cinemark Movies 8, 6808 S. Memorial, still offers matinee tickets for as little as $1.25 each, making it an inexpensive option for families.
8. Ice it down. Iced coffee drinks made from locally roasted Topeca coffee start at $3.25 at JoeBot's, 119 S. Detroit in the Blue Dome district.
9. Look into the past. Head to the Philcade Building at the corner of 5th and Boston to see the lobby window exhibits at the Tulsa Art Deco Museum. Free.
10. Smooth move.Try a fat-free smoothie from Java 'n' Juice, located on Route 66 at 11th and Yale, for just $4.49.
Looking for something else cool to do this week? Call us at (918) 744-550 or visit us online at www.thecampbellhotel.com to book one of our 26 luxurious theme rooms.